Monday, April 16, 2012

Finding a new photographer

I talked briefly about our original photographer, Sarah, the one who did our professional pictures I posted. She's going back to school to get her Master's so she can't shoot our wedding anymore. If you were wondering- we didn't have a contract yet. So, I'm not mad about it, and I really woulnd't have the right to be upset anyway. I had enough time at that point to find someone new, and that's what I did!

I started my search on facebook, asking my friends for their recommendations. I mean, lets face it, there are so many options out there for photographers. Not all are good, and I trust my friends.  (this is also how I found my hair and make up people too!  Good 'ol Facebook.)

via my facebook page

As you can see by the 22 comments, I got quite a few responses and I looked into each one of them. If they had a website, and I liked their pictures, I would either call, email, or facebook message them in some cases. Not all of the suggestions were the best, but I do appreciate my friends all trying to help.

I was trying to stick within my same budget, with basically the same elements I was going to have when Sarah was going to shoot our wedding. They are:
  • 8-10 hours of coverage
  • Multiple Locations
  • Rights Released
  • No Prints
  • No Books
  • $1000 budget
After speaking to the people that were suggested, and and checking out prices and websites, I realized I wasn't really meshing well with any of them. If I'm going to be spending my whole day with you, we need to get a long. To top it off, I wasn't going to be able to meet anyone until June when I went home, and I needed to make a decision based on just talking to them.

Then I thought:  "why dont I check out who i'm looking at for my photobooth?"  (Yes, I am definitely jumping on the photobooth wagon.)  Enter in Domagalski Photography

via domagalskiphotography.com

I looked at their packages online, and some were comparable to what I was looking for, although- they did have prints, but that's not exactly the end of the world, as long as it doesn't put me over budget.  I checked out their online gallery, and their facebook gallery. I really liked the work of one of their photographers - Ashley Lynn. 

I called up their office, told them who I liked, my wedding date, all that good stuff. They asked me to come in for a consultation, and clearly I cannot, so I asked if she could just have Ashley Lynn call me. We played phone tag for a couple days (which made me kind of nervous!) and finally she just facebook message me. Some people might find that un-professional, I think it's pretty awesome. Besides texting, that's the best way to get a hold of me.

Their Photoboots via a screen shot from domagalskiphotography.com

As soon as I read her first message I knew we would click. I could feel her sense of humor in her writing, she was right on the same page as me from the get go. It was awesome. I told her everything I was looking for (and NOT looking for), and she - along with the owner of the company - came up with a custom package, that includes everything I want, plus a photobooth.  It came in LESS than my photography and photobooth budgets were separately. 

Less than a week after my initial post about needed a new photographer, I posted this:

via my facebook page


Here is some of her work:




I'm pretty excited to have her as our photographer.  I am hoping I can make an appointment to meet her in June. That way I am not meeting her for the first time on the day of our wedding.

How did you find your photographer?

No comments:

Post a Comment