Monday, March 26, 2012

Getting Engaged- Kari takes charge

            I think moving in with Lance made the feeling of wanting to get married even stronger.  Everything was going great and every now and again he would bring up marriage.  He would bring up wanting to ask me. My thoughts were:  “WELL ASK ME THEN!!”
            Our one year anniversary rolled around, he didn’t ask. Kept talking about it, but no question. Then Thanksgiving, still nothing, then Christmas came.  He knew what I wanted for Christmas.
Well, let me tell you what he decided to do for Christmas. We were sitting around the tree at my mom’s house Christmas morning opening presents. He gives me a small box.  My heart was RACING, I tell you, as I opened it up. Inside the one box, was a little velvet jewelry box.  Was this it?  Was he proposing Christmas morning in front of my family?!  I opened the little velvet box and inside… was a pair of diamond earrings.  
The non-engagement (ear)rings.
(photo from fredmeyerjewelers.com)


And just for fun, the necklace he got me to match.
(photo from fredmeyerjewelers.com)

You know I had to be super excited about them, when really inside I was dying a little. Not that they weren’t beautiful earrings, but not the type of “ring” I wanted. He knew it, I knew it. Heck, even my grandma was like “you should have seen the look on your face Kari… I know what you wanted to be in there.”  Well, Obviously!  I moved across the country for this man!  I made the big gesture, and as far as I was concerned, it was his turn!
Back in Louisiana, New Year’s Eve came and went without a proposal. Yet, he was still talking about it, a lot. This is where I took matters into my own hands. (This is going to sound so bad, but here goes.) I told him that seeing how he keeps talking about wanting to marry me, and he keeps calling me his “wife,” and keeps talking about our future, that I was going to the jewelry store, picking out a ring, and he needed to go get it and propose already. Not necessarily right then, but the ball needed to be rolling.
Us on New Years 2010
Me with Brown Hair!
(personal photo)

Enter Zales, and one determined lady (that’s me! Haha). I went in with what I knew we could afford, showed them some pictures and tried on some rings. There was only one that fit all the way onto my finger.  (I have big hands!) It was the one, and I had them hold it for me. Lance went in that night and bought it.
Did you kind of take charge and get the ball rolling like I did?  Did it work out?

No comments:

Post a Comment