Monday, March 26, 2012

Thank Goodness for Unlimited Nights & Weekends

There was about a week and a half in-between us meeting in person and when the floodgates of communication started.  I’m talking every night, for HOURS.  It was awesome.  Sometimes we wouldn’t get off the phone until 3 or 3:30am and I had to be up at 6am to start getting ready for work. His job is very labor heavy, and I have no idea how he managed to function some days.
We talked about everything. Our families, work, where we lived, things we have done and wanted to do, long term goals, short term goals, funny stories we heard… there was always something we wanted the other one to know.
These days stretched into weeks and one day he started talking about me coming to visit. I wanted to, but I was also scared. Alone in a city I don’t know, with people I don’t know… just seemed… I don’t know. Not necessarily like a bad idea, but I am super cautious about these things.
After thinking it through, I told him I would.  He bought me a plane ticket and it was set. First weekend of December, I’d be flying down to Louisiana.  It was very exciting, and nerve racking all at the same time. What if he wasn’t like I remembered? What if I wasn’t like HE remembered?  Or what if we didn’t get along in person as well as on the phone? All of these things were running through my mind- and for some reason I had no problem just talking to him about it, and naturally he would (and still does) calm my fears about anything that might go wrong.
We continued our nightly hours upon hours chats. My family started getting annoyed at how I was glued to my phone texting all day.  I just couldn’t help it though. I just wanted to talk to him.
One night in November, the 21st as a matter of fact, I was at my mom’s watching TV and talking to him on the phone. I forget what we were talking about exactly, but he started saying something about how he wanted to wait until I was in LA to ask me about something, but he just didn’t want to wait anymore and I was like “okay…. well what is it?” He said: “Well…. I wanted to know if you want to be my girlfriend?”  It was so cute.  He then said “you don’t have to give me an answer now, you can wait until you are here in a couple weeks.” But I already knew my answer. I DID want to be his girlfriend, and I told him so. 
I swear you could hear the smile in his voice after that.  Not just in that conversation.  In every conversation from then on, and they kept on going, just like normal.
Before I knew it, it was December. Then it was time for me to leave and come down there.  Talk about being a basket of nerves. I was going to meet my boyfriend. The guy I have only ever met in person once, but felt like I had known him forever.
There is something to be said for starting a relationship on communication only.  Out of all of my relationships this one was by far the best after only two months.  That sounds crazy, but it’s true.
Did you have good communication right off the bat with your fiancé? Was there as much talking going on in the beginning for you as there was for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment