Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Our Save the Dates!

I'm a pretty crafty person. I'd like for there to be a whole bunch of DIY projects in my wedding, but I'm just not sure how many I will actually do.  I did make my save the dates though!

With the date and state changes we had going on, nobody really knew when the wedding was. Half of my family still thought it was in Louisiana in April! So how do you make sure everyone is on the same page? You make it super -in their face- obvious.

I started by designing them in publisher. I knew I wanted them to have the mis-matchy wording look. If that even makes sense. Then I added the state of Michigan. (there's your obvious!)  After printing out a test page I realized that I wanted them to have some dimension to them.


Printed and Cut out Save the Date Card

Enter in ETSY seller MariaPalito. I had bought some cut out scalloped circles (for my sisters baby shower invites) from her a few months before starting my save the dates. So I went back and asked if she happened to have a Michigan cut out, and it turns out she did! So I ordered 100 of them.  Then I printed 50 (two per page) save the date cards. Well, I didn't print them, Office Depot did.



Some of my supplies

The top right hand side of this picture show my calendar stickers. I honestly cannot remember where I got the idea for this from, but I love them! I had the stickers and the cards both printed on vistaprint.com. The cards were FREE!  I did have to get 250 of them, but I'd say it's worth it to have too many when you are getting them at no cost besides shipping.

Close up of the card and sticker
 
I cut each sticker out, still on the sheet, and glued them to the card. Pretty simple. Then I just put them into envelopes when I was ready to seal them.

 My other supplies!

Once my Michigan cut outs came in,  I went out and got some craft glue, rhinestones, heart shaped brads and a brad tool. All from Hobby Lobby. I love that store.

I had been taking my two per page printed save the dates to work to use our paper cutter. I could only do it on my break and at lunch after I was done eating.  It didn't get done quick, but I wasn't in a big hurry.

Each day I brought home the cut out cards, I would paste on the two piece Michigan, then the rhinestones, and after they dried good, I punched the hole and put in the brad. Ta-da!!!  They were complete.


They are so much nicer without the names and date blocked.
 
I had SO much fun making my save the dates! That being said, I never want to see a tiny rhinestone or craft glue every again in my life.   Just kidding!  They were a labor of love though. I sent out around 106* of these babies. I have gotten a lot of great feed back on them too. Which makes me very excited!

* = Yes, 106, even though I said I only ordered 100.  Guess what happened after gluing all the Michigans on? The glue soaked through and left this weird darker purple sploch on them! GAH! I basically ruined 30 save the dates. I didn't even put that much glue on! So I had to order more. Which I was going to have to do anyway because our guest list ended up a little longer than we thought!

To finish them off, I put them in a pink envelope, added a wrap around label (designed in publisher and cut out by me), and put a cute stamp on it.


The front of the wrap around label.

The back of the wrap around label.

They sat on my coffee table for about a week because I was kind of scared to send them out. I don't know why I have a fear of people judging me and my crafts. (I say this as I am writing for the world to see them!) Eventually I just took them to the post office and did it already.

I have to tell you though, about wrap around labels. If you put them down too low, the post office machines can read the BACK of your envelope, and you will get your own save the date back in the mail. Yes, this happened to us. Twice.  I am not sure how to fix this besides putting the label up further.

Did you use wrap around labels? Did they get sent back to you??  How long did it take you to do your save the dates?

No comments:

Post a Comment