Thursday, March 22, 2012

Our Beginning - The job change


Our story starts back in August 2009. I was working for a large moving company in one of their move centers as an administrative assistant. One day my boss calls me into her office and says- “Kari, operations needs somebody to come over and help them as a dispatcher for the next few months while someone goes on maternity leave. They asked if you would be interested.”
Now, let me add that the moving business is VERY seasonal. April/May through September is like holycowarewereallythisbusyIdonthavetimetobreathe. I was the 2nd administrative assistant, so after September we either find somewhere to put me, or I have to get laid off. Basically, THIS was my opportunity to keep my job… I’d just have to go a little earlier than normal. So I said okay. I will go.
A couple days later, I made the move across the street to our operations department to start training. Everything went really well, I caught on quickly and was off on my own in no time.
One of my drivers- we will call him R- was one of the more jokey/personal/talk to you about whatever kind of drivers. Eventually we became friends on facebook- which automatically put my phone number into his phone, (I hate that some phones automatically do that) and one day in September, while my whole family was getting together for dinner I get a text message from a phone number I didn’t recognize. It said “Hey this is R, I think I just accidentally called you, sorry.” I didn’t know what he was talking about because my phone didn’t ring, so I just let it go.

After that we would send eachother pretty random text messages (work related!- the dude is married!), and some texts (VERY few) from his ride along permanent helper (let’s call him L), and eventually we became friends I guess you could say. R kept talking up L too.  Trying to be a match maker I suppose.
One day in the beginning of October I got a text that said: “Hey we are going to be in ((my hometown)) in a week, want to meet up and grab a drink?”
Hmmm… is this a good idea?? I wasn’t sure if I wanted to meet. I don’t like that awkwardness of walking into a crowded place looking for someone. Plus was it against some sort of work rule? After thinking about it (for like a day) I decided to go ahead and meet them that next weekend. Worst thing that could happen is they are weird and I leave.
Good news, they weren’t. (Well weren’t THAT weird) Stay tuned for Part Two!

No comments:

Post a Comment