Monday, March 26, 2012

How to tell your family you're leaving

Or… how to tell your family you’re a little crazy.
I know I have already told you our proposal story, but I thought I should share how I went about telling my family about moving. Just in case any of you bee's out there are struggling with the same thing.

I went with the “just blurt it out” method.  Maaaybe I should have slowly eased them into it, but at that point in time I had told my **new** boss that I would be there in two weeks.  Oh yeah. That’s another thing.  On top of telling them I was moving across the country basically, it was also happening in a mere two weeks.  I guess I didn’t really think people would take it so bad, but they did. 
My mom was in denial the first week, then sad and crying the whole second week, my little brother didn’t really understand, my sister was sad but told me if it was what I really wanted then I should do it, my friends all said “well, you’ve been wanting to get out of here for years now!” and they were all happy for me. So that helped.
The Browndog helping me pack
Yes, her name really is "browndog"
(personal photo)

The day I left, I will never forget. My dad was standing at my car door after I had gotten everything packed and said “well love, I’m gonna miss you.”  His voice cracked, like he was trying not to cry. I almost lost it right then and there. My dad NEVER shows that kind of emotion. I told him I missed him too and that I would call him and check in along the way. Gave him one last hug, and pulled out of the driveway. Leaving the place I grew up in my rearview mirror.
Me and my Daddy-o a few days before I left
(personal photo)

So yeah, that was the first step in greatest thing I have ever done in my whole life. The best decision I have ever made. Slowly but surely my family came around too, and saw how great Lance is and and well he treats me, and naturally, they love him. So what started out as a (more than likely) stressful situation, turned into something (and someone!) they are very grateful for.
Did you move across country for your guy/girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment